In the beginning, I wrote software code. Then I was a “lead.” Then I was a manager. Over the years, I have managed larger and larger teams on larger and more critical programs. During this time, I find myself asking a few questions:
- What still needs to get done?
- How will we know when it is done?
- Are we doing this right? How would we know?
- Given the current situation, can a solution just be hacked-out, or no? Who is the decision-maker for this?
- How can this get done as quickly as possible, for as little cost as possible, and still have it work?
- Why is is 6:00 and I’m not confident in the answers yet?
Ugh. These are actually incredibly difficult questions. My first set of posts are going to capture my thoughts on why this is so hard, and what kinds of things we should consider doing to make it easier to answer them. Really… why we have tolerated this for so long?